We finished the front garden last week, and now hopefully will never have to weed out there again. The before picture is just below. I sort of regret not having taken the shot prior to ANY sort of work being done, but there is a part of me that breathed a sigh of relief at the lack of evidence. Such an unseemly display of wild and wanton flora ought not to be flaunted.
We rented a roto-tiller to loosen up the top few inches of hard-packed soil so we could dig it up, thereby making room for the layer of limestone to go down. And hoo, boy! Did the roots ever not want to come outta there! I had some fun with my hatchet that day, lemme tell you.
I discovered that it is painstakingly, agonisingly annoying to dig a trench and pour and level sand to ensure the foundation layer of a small retaining wall goes in level.
This here's about half way through the entire process, so it's not so much a 'before' pic as it is a 'during' pic:
We had already ripped out the ugly green, plastic edging that held back the dirt (we shovelled out a LOT), and used a bunch of it to build up the level behind the wall under construction there. The rest went to our neighbour's front yard, where they conveniently want to put a planter under their front window. Everybody wins! Then we ported three truck loads of crushed limestone to shovel onto the driveway and subsequently onto the layers of newspaper and landscaping fabric we laid down.
Then, while Amy was away for her Girls' Weekend just past, I searched about for a little bistro set to spruce up the joint and surprise her when she got home.